Experience Downtown Reading's Premier Half Marathon, 5K, and 1-Mile Fitness Course
The Friends of Reading Hospital are excited to offer a one-of-a-kind running experience with the Reading Hospital Road Run. Participants will begin the 5K and Half Marathon at the Fire Tower and enjoy a beautiful scenic course in the city of Reading and Lower Alsace. Additionally, half marathon runners will traverse Mount Penn and sprint past the historic Pagoda as they race for cash prizes and glory!
This year's race will utilize instant result timing using the Jaguar disposable chip timing system and also features high-tech wicking shirts with the option to purchase a premium long sleeve shirt (both available while supplies last). Note: runner shirts that are not picked up by 9:00 a.m. on Sunday will be forfeited. All half marathon participants will also receive a finisher’s medal.
Reading Hospital Road Run is a fundraiser for The Friends of Reading Hospital. No refunds will be given.
Half Marathon*: Begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Firetower
5K*: Begins at 8:35 a.m. at the Firetower
1 Mile Fun Run/Walk: Begins at 8:15 a.m. at DoubleTree/Santander Arena
Time limit for half marathon is 3 ½ hours. Any participant remaining on the course after 12:00 pm will do so at their own risk and will not be official finishers.
Shuttle Bus Information
Half Marathon/5K Runners: There is NO DROP OFF this year. Please plan on taking one of our shuttles from Penn Street in front of the Santander Arena to the Fire Tower starting line for the 5K and Half Marathon will start at 6:45 a.m. on an ongoing basis; all runners must be on a shuttle by 8:00 a.m. Parking garages may fill up, please give yourself enough time to park at get to the shuttle buses. There is no parking at the Fire Tower. Check out our Course Maps page for race maps.
*NO STROLLERS, NO PETS. For your safety, we request that you do not bring anything along that could interfere with other runners on the course.
*PERSONAL MUSIC DEVICES: The use of personal music devices is strongly discouraged at this race. We believe your race experience and those around you will be greatly enhanced by leaving the headphones at home or in the car. Running headphone-free allows opportunities to develop camaraderie with your fellow runners and to enjoy everything the race has to offer. Plus, volunteers and spectators will be on course cheering you on and providing directions to help get you to the finish line.
Runner safety has always been, and will continue to be, a top priority for our event. Please be mindful of the other participants and respect the race personnel to ensure a safe and enjoyable race for everyone.
- Course roadways will be closed on the morning of the race beginning at 8:00 a.m. and are expected to reopen by Noon.
- Runners must assume responsibility.
- Run following leads, signs and volunteer’s instructions.
- Volunteers in neon hats will be stationed along course to assist you if needed.
Parking + Resident Info
Free parking will be available for participants and spectators in all Reading Parking Authority garages.
Please visit our Directions and Parking page for more information.
Residents along the race route are encouraged to move their vehicles from the streets prior to the race on October 14.
Free parking will be available in the South Penn Garage (Lot #3).
- Attach race bib to the front of your shirt or outer layer using 2 safety pins.
- Do not rip the race chip off the back of race bib.
- Jackets or other clothing should not be worn over top of the race bib.
- When crossing the timing line, be sure the race bib is clearly visible and that nothing, including arms and hands, is in front of race bib. This may obstruct the signal from the race chip as well as obstruct the view for the race officials.
- All runners/walkers will be called to the start line 5 minutes prior to race start time:
- Walkers and slower runners please start at the back of the field to allow for a smooth start for all participants.
Runner Registration Fees
- Now through August 15: $60
- Military Discounted Rate: $50
- August 16 through October 13: $65
- Military Discounted Rate: $55
- Day of Race Registration: $70
- Now through August 15: $25
- Military Discounted Rate: $20
- August 16 through October 13: $30
- Military Discounted Rate: $25
- Day of Race Registration: $35
Announcing Road Run Race Day Registration Options!
We are using the latest race technology to allow for registration up until 8 a.m. the morning of the race, Sunday, October 14. We can’t guarantee a t-shirt if you don’t register by Sunday, September 30, but we can guarantee you the same great experience of a scenic course and a sense of accomplishment when you receive that half marathon finisher’s medal!
All registration will be through our online system, whether in advance or on race day. For race day registration, you will be able to sign up at computers set up in the registration area (cash or credit, no checks please), or online with your phone (credit card only). Please note that there will be an additional $5 late signup fee for both the 5K and half marathon for any participant who signs up after midnight the night before, Saturday, October 13, and all discount codes will have expired.
So be sure to register early for the best deal and to guarantee all Road Run perks!
- Men’s and Women’s sizing for both long and short sleeve shirts
- Youth is unisex